Friday, September 4, 2009

Its been a interesting few days....

Well classes are done with for the week and we have the weekend to look forward to. The Alhambra tomorrow and then Sunday to rest. I find myself thinking in both Spanish and English now. We've only had 8 of the 80 hours so far but that is equivalent to 2 and a half weeks of class at St. Thomas. The class is 4 hours long and split into two 2 hour parts with two different teachers. I'm in the Kenia building which is about a 5 min longer walk past the center for modern languages. Leah is also in that building, and yes Mom I did get in touch with her finally. My class seems suitable enough. Its a lot of Spanish but then again we are in Spain. I try to keep my days  fairly open for going on walks or watching Spanish TV. Around 2pm everything shuts down and everyone heads home for siesta and lunch. I have yet to take a siesta but today i might break that trend. I was able to get a good phone for use over here and it was fairly cheap 20 euros or so.

My favorite thing to do is walk around the city and just explore, I'm starting to get a mental map of the city. I find the more I speak, listen and write in Spanish the more the comfortable the city feels. One thing that is nice about Granada and the province that it is in (Andulucia) is that there are tapas gratis, free appetizers!! Buy a drink, cerveza or sangria and you get tapas.

I haven't been able to get a good internet connection to upload my photos but I am hoping that tomorrow or Sunday I will be able to have over 100 posted!

The meals here are wonderful, fruit, gazpacho, salads, jamon y huevos and much more!! I'm adjusting to the heat and the way the city works around it. Night time is when the city comes alive! Maria and I have walked up to the catedral at night and its a wonderful sight. (i'm stuck in spanish mode so some of my sentences may sound a little weird)

I'll post a link soon with some pics if I can find internet fast enough to upload them.

As for now thats all!

Chao!

2 comments:

  1. "I find the more I speak, listen and write in Spanish the more comfortable the city feels."
    I liked that observation/thought. It's fun reading your posts and hearing how you're adjusting and learning so much in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so envious!! Sounds like a lot to take in! Cherish every adventure and take advantage of all opportunites to meet the local people.

    ReplyDelete