Friday, September 11, 2009

Pigeons!

Wow, time in Spain is going by fast. I can already feel my Spanish improving, my ears are becoming more adept at picking up the accent here. The Andalusian accent makes it hard to understand what the residents here are saying (its hard enough comprehending the language itself) instead of buenos dias its "bueno dia" all the "s" are lost. "Sta luego" instead of hasta luego is a another common shortening. I figure the best way to learn is to listen so every time that I am out I try to eaves drop on conversations and practice comprehending what they are saying (I don't think they ahve anything to worry about, I cant understand much yet). Most of the time I just hear people talking about work or gossiping but every once and a while I'm surprised by what I hear or for that matter see  here.


The other day after some some gelato Maria and I were sitting in Plaza Trinidad and people watching when a man came out of no where and started stalking pigeons that were eating in the plaza. Things just got bizarre from then on out. He started saluting them and acting like he was their general. Then he proceeded to stalk them again, yelling random stuff at them. One older man with a bright button up shirt and a women with a lot of jewelry and a camera walked through the plaza (I can only assume they were tourists). The "pigeon" man walked towards them and I could see the older man swing his backpack around to the front and grasp it firmly. The man circled the tourists and kept yelling gibberish (could have been Spanish) until they couple had left the plaza. Then the man proceeded to talk to the pigeons and began marching around. 


Granada certainly is an interesting and fascinating place but every now and then (as with any city) you are reminded of the poverty and diversity of its inhabitants. After about 12:00am you start seeing more and more borachos (drunks) walking around the streets. Hostel Jardines is located near the older part of the city and in much safer area than other parts of Granada. The eastern part of town (where we are) is close to the Alhambra, the mountains, the Albaicin, and the cathedral. The streets are small and quaint and there are always multitudes of Spaniards out talking and enjoying late night tapas, a very enjoyable environment. Tomorrow we head the the Albaicin (and old barrio located near the mountains (neighborhood)), I'm so excited! I'll take some good pics with my Nikon and upload them next week!!


We are having numerous internet issues here so mom maybe instead of e-mail I'll send a carrier pigeon over there with some postcards!! 




Saludos,


W

No comments:

Post a Comment