Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Pan con Chocolate

While walking to class I stumbled upon a store that sells pastries an bread and one of there specialtiesis a pan con chocolate. I've become addicted to this tasty treat and grab it every morning or so since the breakfasts are so small. I enjoy walking everywhere and its a nice change from los estados (plus I don't have to worry about buying gas). I find that with all the walking and the smaller meals I am starting to lose weight. I've started to journey around and find the best tapas bars (I mean after all they are FREE!). Bar Roca and another cafe south of here are so far my favorites. The customs here in Spain were confusing at first but I'm starting to get used to them now. Here are some differences that I have noticed so far:


1. Propinas or tips are seldom given. If you are going to tip it is usually because you really liked the cerveza or the meal and then its only 5% or so.
2. When you (a family or a group) are at dinner and the phone rings it is considered rude to not pick up the phone. Once the person explains they are in the middle of dinner the person on the other side says vale vale (ok) and shortens their conversation.
3. If you are asked to come over for dinner you ALWAYS refuse (not being mean but just say I have homework or something else going on) the first time you are asked. If they insist you refuse the second offer. Only after the third offer or they insist again do you accept. This one confused me but how I understand it is, if you accept the first offer then it is not sincere. If the family insists several times then it is a sincere offer and return.




I'm off to lunch, but I'll blog some more later!!


Hasta luego


W

2 comments:

  1. Losing weight? You might need a daily gelato!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy....I'd love to have some pan con chocolate right now. Todd just fed me some Harry Potter chocalate flies that he bought at Walgreen's - on sale for 50 cents per box!!!

    Hope you are not losing too much weight... Todd wants to know if you are getting a varied diet that includes all your food groups. Gaspacho (spelling???) should be a healthy choice!! Fill us in on your classes,travels,etc....

    ReplyDelete