Thursday, September 24, 2009

Spainglish Students

There's nothing worse then starting up a conversation in english and having it come out with Spanish grammar structure. I seem to be losing coherent english structures as I study Spanish. Its not just me its everyone, its actually quite comedic, we have a new language. Daryl call is Granadan English. I figure I should introduce everyone here, I know they all read the blog so I'll try to be as accurate as I can.

First up there is Maria (for those of you reading this that don't know her). Maria is from St. Paul, MN she goes to St. Thomas with me and we've known each other for about a year. She is a very bright person and as much as she won't admit she has picked up the language very well, I've been studying it for almost 5 years and she has only had it in college, thats impressive. She's also my girlfriend for over a year now and it has been really nice to share the experience of Granada with her.

Next up is Chryssi. She rooms with Marisa, right below Adam and I.

Marisa her roommate is and kind of reminds me of Maria's cousin.

Adam is my roommate, I lucked out too. He likes soccer which already makes us friends (ha). He's also very good at Spanish, well he has been to Seville for a J-term before so it makes sense but this time over he placed into the superior level (impressive). He also goes to St. Thomas but we've never met up before. We have some of the same friends, small world hey! We're on the AIFS soccer team which should be fun, I'll have brush up on my skills.

Daryl is another one of the students that lives here at the residence with us. Daryldactyl (inside joke)

Breanna is another girl that is on the other side of the residence.

Jillian is Daryl's roomate and lives on the other side of residence. I think she is from the southern states.

Louis is a British student who has just recently arrived. He and Florian seem to get along very well. I could see myself hanging out with those two in the next few months.

Florian, oh boy, where to start. He is from the Canary Islands, Tenerife. He is a very, very outgoing, Spanish jock (but he's actually pretty nice, he's just obsessed with working out and running).
Alejandro is another student that lives across the street. I've talked with him a bit and he seems like a very down to earth guy.

Merella is on the other side of the residence, where most of the girls live. She reminds me a lot of my cousin Meg.

Merete is Maria's roommate. I think the two of them get along well and are probably laughing right now that I am writing about them.

Alan is from New York, actually I believe Cornell. He is studying here on his own, he just lives across the street but comes over to Jardines for meals and hangs out with the group.

Everyone here gets along for the most part and they are great bunch of students. We were even talking about having a reunion a few years down the road on a Cruise ship (or maybe back here in Granada).

There are also a lot of kids that I've met both Spaniards and students from AIFS. It would take a long time to list all of them.

To end I will say that It has ben almost a month since I left the States and I'm already feeling like I could lead a tour around Granada. I think I will start incorporating my Spanish into the blog as well just to practice using verbs and what not. Well its only 1pm here so if something exciting happens today maybe there will be another blog later tonight!

Hasta Luego

W

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! We enjoyed reading your blog and have a better sense of your surroundings, friends, and the culture. We are all envious, especially your mom!!! Keep snapping photos and journaling.

    ReplyDelete