Saturday, September 26, 2009

Hacer caca, escalar y pena

Today was our intense hike up in the mountains behind the Alhambra. Well I guess they would be considered foothills. We started our hike in Plaza Nueva and moved up along the walk way to the cemetery. It was interesting to see all of the kids that had been out at the discoteca and never got a wink of sleep. We began our trek at 10 am in the morning and made our way up the mountain. We lost some people early on, apparently they decided to follow another group that "looked a lot like ours". After we reached the cemetery we turned and hiked up another set of hills. The hills were filled with olive trees and on the path we encountered many runners and insane bikers that were taking some insane routes down the sides of the mountain. When we arrived at the top everyone broke out there lovely meals that the senoras made them, us residence kids pulled our bocadillos out and realized that they were frozen solid. Maria, Chryssi, Darly and I made our way over to some playground equipment and situated ourselves on slides, swings and totter things. Then we proceeded to thaw our sandwiches by breathing on them, or hugging them so that they would warm up. I don't know why Scarlet (the cook) froze them.

So there we were, sitting on top of a mountain on play equipment thawing our sandwiches when this girl Emmy came over to a building near us looking for a bathroom. Once she realized that it wasn't a bathroom she started to freak out. Apparently she had to crap and didn't know what she was supposed to do. So one of the other girls came over with a plastic bag and demonstrated how to tuck the bag under herself to catch the caca. Well this had everyone in a riot of laughter. Inma thought it was hilarious and I even saw Raul (Inma's man) crack up. So there went Emmy off to the edge of the mountain to crap in a bag ( I don't see why she didn't just poop in a hole or something). Needless to say, our meal wasn't the best one. I made it through most of the bocadillo de jamon y queso  and punted the rest over the ridge and into the valley.

Our way back down was more exciting, twists and turns and everything was on little paths on the side of the mountain. I've always been one for exciting hikes. I wish I could have brought my mountain bike with me. After 4 hours of walking we arrived back at Jardines. I went out for some food and came back and slept off the pain in my legs. Now its time for an exciting night!!

Hasta Luego

3 comments:

  1. I just read this to Steve. Talk about LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this entry to Steve and it really made us laugh. I was picturing those kids with their nice lunches laid out in front of them and you Jardinians(new tag) hugging your bocadillos to thaw them. Your posted photos of the hike are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little side excursions sound fun and entertaining. Anxious to hear your Madrid stories. Hope you are finding a few more substantial meals to sustain your health and weight. Maybe you should make an effort to get to know the cafeteria cooks a little better!

    ReplyDelete