Monday, August 31, 2009

Culture shock

It's 11:00pm here in Granada, just got back from a great dinner and finally the internet is working but it is very very slow. Hopefully in the next week I will have the time to upload some pics. If there was one word to describe today it would be OVERWHELMING!. After 2 hours of sleep we (the AIFS students) made our way by bus too the Gatwick Airport. There was intense fog and everyone was very very tired (except some girls in the front who kept everyone awake with their renditions of rap and pop songs). After boarding the plane a long while later (8:30) we made our way to Malaga. The plane ride was okay but by the time we were getting ready to leave the plane the jet lag and lack of sleep caught up with me. The 95 DEGREE weather didn't help much.
I slept most of the way on the two hour drive from Malaga to Granada. The landscape is vastly different here, Mountains fill the entire vista. We arrived in Granada around 2:00pm and then (my group) the resident students made their way up to our residence "Hostel Jardines" while the other home stay students went off with their respective families.
The rooms are nice here, and the ten of us AIFS students that live here share the place with 60 Spanish students. Our residence directer showed us around and I felt the culture shock begin. I bought a few meals today and some groceries and managed to get by with simple Spanish but I'm still adjusting and it will be a few days before I get into deep conversations with any of the Spaniards here.

For now thats all, its late and I am very tired. We have tests tomorrow at 8:30 and hopefully my Spanish will somehow find its way out of the cobwebs of my mind. I'll post pics and write some more detailed stories later this week!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment